Sunday, October 15, 2006

Oct. 15 and I really need to post something!

I know, I know. It's been a long, long time since I wrote anything here.

Well, life is good and life is busy! I often think of things I'd like to share here, but seldom have the time to actually go do it. Anyway, here are some recent things of note:

We have finally decided on a new church home. It's been hard and no one place met every family member's criteria, but we are going to be a part of the Abundant Life Church. They have great children's and teens' programs, dynamic preaching, very lively worship, and are really growing alot. They seem to have lots of good ministries to hurting and recovering people, they offer many service opportunities, and they are baptizing 100-200 people each year. You can see their website at: www.coolchurch.com

I sang in my first concerts with Portland Symphonic Choir this weekend. We get really busy during concert week! This past week we had evening rehearsals on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, & Saturday nights and then did an afternoon and evening concert today. Whew! Tomorrow night we're back to just our regular Monday night practice time until the second week of November when we'll do the concert-week schedule again (and then again the third week of December). We shared this program with Seattle Pro Musica, each doing a section alone and then two pieces together to conclude. Saint Mary's Cathedral was a gorgeous and reverberant place to sing and both choirs performed at a pretty high level. You can see what we're singing the rest of this season at: http://www.pschoir.org/Season2005/Programs.shtml

Saturday, while Lani was out of town at a TAG conference in Bend, I rebuilt our front steps. Like any project, it took more than I thought to do what I was attempting. As I tore off the old step boards, some of the framing and stair risers broke apart and couldn't be reused. I ended up having to cut two new stair risers and reinforce both side risers that I could reuse. I got the steps done finally, but don't have a railing back up yet. It's wider now and does look nicer!

Hmm. . . there are probably plenty of other things to say, but I'm ready for some rest. Brian & Eryann Maki -- along with Lani's mom -- are coming from Missoula this Thursday and staying through the weekend. We may try to go to the Oregon coast, or a local pumpkin patch, or do something else special. Looks like we'll be here during Thanksgiving and then make a trip to Montana during Christmas break. We've ordered new kitchen cabinets (to install ourselves) which should arrive in early to mid-November, so we'll be working hard to get those all done before Thanksgiving break is over. I started up a choir at my elementary school and have about 62 kids in it so far! It's cool and rainy today; the weatherman says that we may have had our last 70-degree days for this year. The leaves are turning lots of beautiful colors too!

2 comments:

erinlo said...

I was so excited to click over to your blog this evening and see an update!! I am so glad ya'll have found a church home and that things are going well. We miss you guys so so much. Oh- what I wouldn't do for a good ol Lani hug right now.

We are doing wonderfully, though. Selah is awesome and the boys have adjusted well (mostly). We LOVE Bammel and are being challenged spiritually in ways we've not been challenged before.

I will try and post some updated pics of the fam soon. Selah has already changed so much! And these boys- jeesh- I can hardly keep them in clothes they are growing so fast!!!

Well- I love you guys and miss you!

Owen B. said...

Good to hear about things, Dan. Thanks for posting. Judging by the time of your post, maybe you are not getting enough sleep???

Blessings to you, Lani & kids.