Friday, December 05, 2008

Christmas Singing

December is my favorite time for singing! Our course, it's always a busy time -- too busy really -- so I don't do things like just go caroling with friends or have friends over to sing in our living room (things I've done in the past, but seem to have let get squeezed out the last few years).

However, I am singing with two groups in the Portland area and here are the details:
Portland Symphonic Choir presents our "WinterSong" concerts on Saturday, Dec. 13 and Sunday, Dec. 14 at 7:30 pm at St. Mary's Cathedral (near 18th and Burnside). We asked a guest high school choir to join us this year and it just happens to be the Gresham H.S. choir that Micah sings in! You can check out the Portland Symphonic Choir website (and even order tickets!) at: http://www.pschoir.org/

"Offering", the six-member male acappella group that I sing in with my friend Phill Hurley, sings twice this Sunday, Dec. 7. First is at 4:00 pm at the new Happy Valley City offices (160th & Sunnyside Rd). The mayor speaks, then we sing for 30 minutes, then Santa appears, then the Clackamas H.S. choir sings. Should be fun (& free!). Later that same night we sing at the Grotto's Festival of Lights at 9:00 pm. It's always a treat to sing in the reverberant chapel at the Grotto. See their website for details: http://www.thegrotto.org/events/lights.htm
"Offering" also sings for two morning services on Dec. 14 at Portland's First Christian Church in downtown PDX.

Of course, I've got school performances with my kids at Hollydale Elementary. The 2nd & 3rd graders present a musical, "December in Our Town" on Dec. 11 and my 4th & 5th grade choir will sing that night also. The choir also sings at Pioneer Place (downtown PDX) on Dec. 17 at 11:00 am.

Here's one other fun thing. I'm putting together caroling groups to sing for all nine of Abundant Life Church's Christmas Services (on Dec. 20, 21, 23, & 24). These groups will just sing carols in the lobby before and after each service. If you're reading this and intered in singing with us, let me know. You can learn more about our church at: http://coolchurch.com/site/index.php?option=com_frontpage

No comments: