Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

Just a few end of the day thoughts. . .

I don't personally know many people who have served in the military -- whether living now or passed on -- but I know today was special for many touched by the loss of a loved one who served as a soldier. Today I did reflect on some of those I love who have already passed on; mostly I recall with fondness my grandparents on the Dalzell side. I do miss them a lot.

Today I went fishing with my boys and a good friend, Paul. And that's all it was for most of us: fishing. Not catching. Paul did catch one small trout, but none of the rest of us got anything (except wet feet, smelly hand, and sunburns!). But, it was nice to be out casting a line on a beautiful day here. There was an hour -- or probably more like 40 minutes -- where a guy not twenty feet from us on the bank pulled out his limit of five fish (all decent, plump trout too!). It's hard to figure how that happens. He was catching fish while folks on both sides of him got nothing. There's a special skill or one of life's mysteries there or something.

I also was thinking this holiday weekend about how a year ago at this time our kids had just finished the school year, we were packing things up for a move, and we were pretty unsettled about jobs, where to live, etc. I feel blessed to be where I am today! I'm also praying for a blessing on friends far and near who stood by us, supported us, prayed for us, helped move us, and so much more. May God bless you all as you have blessed us.

No comments: