Sunday, June 10, 2007

A new first for me


Last night I sang two Beethoven works with the Portland Symphonic Choir (along with the Portland Chamber Orchestra). We did his "Choral Fantasy" and then the infamous "Symphony No. 9" It's almost embarrassing to admit as a chorister that I had never done the 9th Symphony before (seems like most of my fellow choir members had done it three or four times). Anyway, now I can say that I've had that experience! It went quite well with the audience giving us a long, rousing, standing ovation. And when the maestro extended his hand toward the choir for our acknowledgement, it was like a huge surge of cheers and applause, so we must have done well (we'll have to see what the critics write in the local papers -- probably coming out tomorrow). It was difficult to sing because of the high range and loud dynamics, but it sure was exciting. And now it won't be long until the next time I sing it because our choir is scheduled to do it with the Bend Chamber Orchestra in Bend on August 25.

You can always check out the Portland Symphonic Choir at www.pschoir.org

---------------------------------------------------------------

Only four more days with students this school year (and then two work days). Summer is nearly here!!!

2 comments:

Owen B. said...

How exciting! That would be a lot of fun!

Shane Coffman said...

I ran across a Miami Ink show last night where a guy got that same portrait of Beethoven tattoed on his chest.

I'm glad to read that you're singing Beethoven, not wearing him...