Saturday, June 23, 2007

Bike Riding Family

We live really near this awesome trail, the "Springwater Trail Corridor", but we've hardly ridden our bikes on it since moving here last August. I love to take Molly for runs on it, but we just hadn't biked. . . until now.

This last week, now that we're all on Summer break, we started getting bikes and equipment all ready for our family to ride. I picked up a pair of mountain bikes on Craigslist for a great price and then fixed flat tires on two bikes this week, got a super-soft seat for Lani, a new helmet for Micah, and lubed and adjusted all the bikes to fit our current sizes. I'm still watching for a different bike for Hannah because one of the Schwinns that we've had for awhile is a little under-sized and also in need of lots of adjusting to really run well.

Last night and then again tonight, we all took a ride on the trail. So far, it's been fun and a good family thing. We went east last night and west tonight on the trail and got to see a little more of it in each direction than any of us had seen on walks or runs. We've seen scores of rabbits (and mosquitos!), several deer, and lots of beautiful scenery. I'll have to take some pictures and post them in the near future.

4 comments:

Lynn G said...

I bought a bike a while back! Still own the bike I got when I was 10, so it's antique status now. It needed new tires, but I thought a new one woud be best. Sometimes I wonder. Haven't gotten to ride the new one very much lately because it's been raining. You'd thnk it was Seattle around here. Wish I had a nice trail near home. Yours sounds wonderful. Miss y'all so much, especially on Sunday mornings.

Dan Dalzell said...

Dan didn't mention that he got some new biking gear--gloves, biking shirt,& shorts with gel in the hiney--for Father's Day. Now we call him "Jelly Man"! He no longer has saddle sores from his ride. My new gel seat also saves me! Yea

Lani

Dan Dalzell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynn G said...

I tried a gel cushion, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Gave it to Jason. The larger seat is a lot better though. 21 gears and hand breaks has been really strange to me, but I haven't caused bodily harm to myself yet. Oh, I did buy myself some new shoes (and a helmet after watching the drivers in my neighborhood)to ride. A girl's got to have some new duds.