Tuesday, April 11, 2006

My Day in the DMC

Yesterday I got a call to sub -- Middle School English/Language Arts. Sounded kind of interesting, even if not my favorite pick. I got to the school and was in the classroom just about ready to begin first period, when in walks the regular teacher and says, "I don't think you're supposed to be here today." Awkward. Then she said, "Hold on just a minute" and off she went to speak to the sub. coordinator. Several awkward minutes. Then she reappeared and told me there'd been a mistake and I wasn't needed for her class, but they would love to have me help in the "DMC" room.

"DMC." Just the way she said it made me a little nervous. I'm thinking. . . I wonder what that stands for. . . De-Militarized Classroom. . .hmm. (Lani told me later that it's actually something like "Discipline Management Class").

So, I spent a day in the detention room. Honestly, I never spent a day in detention in all my school days. I learned some things yesterday:
Whoever runs DMC (or whatever they call it in your local school) should get a big bonus pay. And lots of admiration and appreciation for their efforts. We had a room with 24 students assigned there who all were supposed to work silently in their assigned desk or cubicle. That meant that the coordinator had to have seven assignments (one for each regular period) for all 24 students somehow organized, passed out, collected, etc. Whew! I don't know how this lady did it on a regular day by herself. She was SO thankful I was there and was nearly begging me to come back again tomorrow.
DMC students are not dumb or "bad kids". I was actually pretty impressed with how most of the kids acted. Generally, they were considerate and cooperative (it could partly be because if they messed up there they'd be in real bad trouble!). Several were probably "gifted" as far as intelligence goes. I couldn't believe how quickly some of them did the assignments. I'd always heard that some kids who get in trouble are just bright kids who get bored with the slow pace of things in a regular classroom and have too many opportunities to get into mischief. It's probably true.
I also looked at these kids and wondered how many of them don't have a stable home, how many have suffered abuse, how many didn't eat breakfast that day, how many have parents with serious problems of their own. I'd bet that these kids were fighting a lot of battles that most kids don't have to face. I know I never had to face those kind of things and I'm glad my kids don't either, but now I have more understanding and caring for children who do.


I survived my day in DMC just fine and was happy to have helped out in a difficult little corner of the world. And I learned some things about people. I was blessed today.

3 comments:

Amanda W said...

Sounds like an adventure! ;)

Patti said...

I worked in a similar room at a middle school several times; only, it was for the special ed or resource kids who had misbehaved so much they couldn't be allowed in a regular room. You know you are in for a long day when they start pointing out the emergency panic button! Then I found out that a certain student had attacked an aide recently so run away if he starts something and get help!
Most of those kids were either in foster care or still with families that were in bad circumstances. It wasn't bad but stressful!
They were shocked when I returned a few times, they said most people never come back!

Lynn G said...

And it could have just been their version of ISS (in-school suspension) or more likely, AB (adaptive behavior). ISS is for any student that has gone past needing mere lunch/Saturday detention for behavior. AB is for students that need to learn appropriate behavior in life and the classroom. ISS is not part of special ed in the Tomball district, though AB students may have underlying issues that do make some of them part of the special ed program. My heart goes out to these children and their parents. A lot of times the parents are just as baffled about their child's behavior as the teachers are, probably moreso.

I agree with you about not knowing what problems the students may have in their homes. AND about some of the brightest kids having behavior problems because they are bored. I work with kids like that on almost a daily basis. Bless you for helping with that class.