Friday, April 28, 2006

Riding the waves. . .

Today it feels like I'm riding the waves of life's ups & downs. This week started with a too-good-to-be-true sale of our home to the first person that viewed it after our ad came out. After stringing us out most of the week, our "buyer" came again today but brought their loan officer (read "realtor"). They looked the house over again with him, then left to decide on their offer amount. About an hour later their "agent" came back to present their offer. It was one of those "you've got to be kidding" moments. They offered $5K below our asking price, plus $6K toward the buyers costs, plus asked us to pay his 3% commission (about $4600), and of course split the other closing costs (the only thing that was not unexpected). We can entertain reasonable offers below our price, but this was crazy! By the time we paid all that he asked for, we'd barely get more than it was worth 5 and 1/2 years ago when we bought it.

Another smaller wave: last night at our praise team rehearsal one of the ladies said she had a perfect job for me: her school needed a 4th grade sub. teacher through the end of the year. Sounded like a good opportunity and possible blessing. One of the keys is that long-term pay requires 20 consecutive days and if I could start Monday there would be exactly 20 working days. Problem is I'm not even registered to sub in this district and jumping through all those hoops could take awhile. But I was told that her principal could pull some strings and push things along. So, pretty early this morning I put a call in to the principal, but had to leave a message since the principal was out for the morning. All day I waited for a call. Finally, after 3:00 I called again and was told that she was unavailable. So, what sounded like a good possibility probably slipped away. Maybe not, but most likely.

Overall, I feel so blessed in my life, but today felt like I was hitting more of the dips than the highs. And I guess some days are just like that.

Tomorrow will be a new day. As far as I know we can all sleep in. We should have a mildly relaxing morning. And we'll go ahead and do an open house from 2 to 5. You know, waves go up and down. Maybe tomorrow we'll catch a big wave and go for a fun ride!

1 comment:

Amanda W said...

We're praying Dan. The waves can be frustrating and scary at times.