Thursday, March 30, 2006

College Choir memories

Last night Hannah was showing Lani & I her choir music -- several songs that they are learning for UIL competition -- and asked us if we knew any of them. The first one was, "All That Hath Life and Breath Praise Ye the Lord" by Rene Clausen. Immediately Lani and I both started singing the song. I guess Hannah figured out right away that we knew it! Then, I said, "Wait a minute, I think I've got a recording of that" and off I went to the garage to look through all our old records.

Talk about your "memory lane"! I found the box of records and pulled out all the ones from Columbia Christian College, where Lani and I both sang in the Concert Choir, Joyful Noise, and His Heirs groups that my dad directed. Just reading through all the song titles and looking at the pictures of the groups filled my head with music and good memories. I saw some peoples' faces that I haven't thought about in years (and a couple that I couldn't remember their names). What was amazing was how many songs just came right back as soon as I read the title. I could even picture singing them in certain places.

Eventually I made it back inside with the album, "Glorify the Lord" in my hands. The first track is the "All That Hath Life & Breath. . ." that Hannah is learning. So we put it on and Lani and I kind of sang along. Then we played it again for Hannah without singing, so she could hear it. And then we just listened to most of the album with Hannah and Micah there too. I dropped the needle on "Set Down Servant", a song which I had a solo on, and Micah and Hannah didn't think it sounded like me at all! Micah actually didn't realize for awhile that this was a recording that Lani and I were both singing on; he was wondering why we knew all these old songs.

So, it was a fun time listening to our old college choir and recalling friends and choir tours and yellow tuxes and all these songs. And you know, that choir sounded pretty good too!

3 comments:

Patti said...

That sound like fun! When I went to Amber's first high school choir concert, the girl's choir was singing this goofy french song about how the lady is lucky- she works hard but her husband doesn't beat her! It was funny to realize we sang that song for competition in 1983 or 1984!

Amanda W said...

how fun!

Tim Castle said...

Hey! I remember the "banana suits!" Those were one of the big reasons I decided NOT to go to Columbia!