Saturday, January 07, 2006

Tribute to Irby Jackson

Yesterday we celebrated the life of Irby Jackson. His funeral was held at the Tomball Church of Christ, where he'd served as an elder (and friend and mentor and helper to so many) for a number of years. There were about 400 in attendance and lots of kind words expressed by the speakers, Rick Brown, Charlie Middlebrook, and Danny Simms. I led the singing and was honored to be able to participate.

We sang "When the Night is Falling" and "There's a Stirring" with our Praise Team to begin the service. I've always wanted to use these great songs in a time like this and they were especially meaningful yesterday (a few of our team couldn't quite get through them as we sang). Later we sang "Amazing Grace" and "It Is Well With My Soul" congregationally (songs requested by the family). Toward the end of the service we did "Days of Elijah" (another request by Irby's wife, Shirley). It was done in a more subdued way than we normally would, but finally toward the end we started clapping and a few people even shouted out; it was pretty moving.

The most important thing about the time, however, was remembering what an incredible person Irby was. I remember being inspired by my Grandfather's life and thinking at his funeral about how I really want to emulate some things about him in my life. Yesterday was like that too. Irby was a very warm, caring person. Careful about speaking out, but generous in giving his time and effort to help others. He mentored scores and scores of young men (and some gals too) by taking them water skiiing, having them over to work on cars, or just hanging out. I've heard several guys say that when they got into trouble they'd call Irby instead of their own parents. Lots of people who've joined the Tomball Church of Christ over the years will say that Irby & Shirley were primary reasons that they came back after their initial visit; they were always warm and welcoming. Irby loved to have fun and always seemed to have a glint or twinkle in his eye (which often meant he was "up to something"). When I look around our church building, I see things everywhere that Irby did or maintained. How do you replace a guy like that?

The last few times I saw Irby, he wasn't doing too well physically. He'd been battling cancer for the last couple years and then had some heart trouble and other things start to pile up on him. It was hard to see a guy that had always been so strong and active be in such a weakened state. This wasn't the real Irby and I believe it was a blessing that he was released from this frail human flesh into his heavenly body.

I do want to share my last two times with him. On Dec. 11, a group of children and parents had gone caroling to two nursing homes in Tomball and then met for a little Christmas party. Someone (Bonnie Abel) suggested that we go over and sing to Irby. So seven carloads of us drove over to Irby & Shirley's. We weren't sure how we'd find Irby and were ready to sing from outside the door or maybe just step in and do a carol or two. Instead, we were all welcomed inside and gathered around the hospital-style bed that Irby was on in his living room. I don't know how Irby's body felt, but he smiled alot and sure seemed to enjoy it all; I even saw him wink at one or two of the little girls. He had that glimmer in his eye that night! The last time I saw him was on Christmas Eve. We'd made some holiday goodies for friends and neighbors and had a special tray for Irby & Shirley. Christmas had almost come and we hadn't delivered it yet. So, at about 5:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve, Micah (my son) and I drove over to deliver the tray. Again we were warmly welcomed in and sat down to visit awhile (while there, my friend Phil Stambaugh and his parents dropped by too). It was a special little visit and Irby seemed pretty strong and was able to talk pretty well. He had that smile on his face again that night. I treasure these last two visits. I don't want to remember his weakened body, but I will remember getting to see his smile and joyful spirit.

Our lives go on. I'm praying for Shirley and other family members as they live on with a big hole in their lives. But I'm grateful for the inspiration and positive effect Irby had on me and so many others.

No comments: