Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Dad's Birthday

Today is my dad's 67th birthday. And so I'm reflecting on things I'm thankful for about my dad:
Thanks for doing lots of things well. For showing me a "you can do it" spirit about life. I guess I always thought you could do anything and that helped me to believe that I could try about anything too. I guess I never thought it unusual that you could be a choral conductor and a carpenter, or that you could serve as an Elder and also be the guy that wired in lights or put up sheetrock at church.
Along those line, thanks for lending expertise and hands-on help in so many "projects". I still vividly recall when we built our own house back in Ontario and lots of other remodeling and fixing of things over the years. I have a love of doing my own projects because of those experiences with you.
Thanks for surrounding me with music. Music was always a part of the environment around our home when growing up. I appreciate you for doing vocal music well. When I finally got down to choosing a college major, I decided I'd had so much music around me and that I just couldn't let that go to waste.
Thanks for being a man of faith and prayer and grace. I appreciate the exposure to a bigger world of Christian faith than just our own church. I know I've been shaped by your attitudes and acceptance of change in forms and styles while never abandoning any foundations of our faith. I'm thankful for your example in leading worship. And I'm thankful that you're a man teaching and living by God's grace.
Often now as a father myself, I recall times when you took time out to shoot baskets, times when you insisted I do chores, times you included me in discussions or experiences in worship and music, and on and on. And I'm reminded to do similar things with my own children.

Happy Birthday, Dad!

No comments: