Saturday, December 24, 2005

Christmas Eve

Normally, I'm the type that would never allow opening our Christmas gifts on the night BEFORE Christmas. But, this is a bit unusual when Christmas morning is a Sunday morning, so. . . tonight we opened presents! Mind you, tomorrow morning there will still be stockings to unload and "Santa" presents, but tonight we did all the regular gifts. Pretty fun family time, but it is our first time ever to not be doing Christmas with extended family either in Oregon or Montana.

As I think about past Christmas Eve's I'm overwhelmed with a flood of memories of joyful childhood anticipation, of my grandpa (and dad) seeing who could stay up the latest to do their "Santa" things after everyone else was in bed, of my first Christmas Eve service I ever attended (went with my Uncle Doug to a mostly hispanic Catholic church in Abilene that was packed to the walls), of my pre-teen years when I'd try to stay up past when my parents both were asleep so that I could then get up, and on and on and on. . . Christmas time is special like that, isn't it? Of course, some may have difficult memories tied to the holidays, but for me it's a time of treasured memories.

So, what am I doing now? Waiting for everyone else to be asleep in bed so that I can sneak in and do all my "Santa" things!

No comments: