Sunday, December 11, 2005

Meaningful Christmas Party with Kids

This afternoon we had our church's Children's Christmas Party. Of course, we do something like this every year, but I thought today's was extra special. First, we met to go caroling to a nursing home before doing anything else. As it turned out, two of us had booked our group at different locations (I had been asked to schedule us at a place about a month back and actually did it two weeks ago; then another lady called a place just last Friday). So, just as we were all loading up in our cars to go, it became obvious that we had two different places in mind. What to do??? We decided to go to both! It was cool because the old folks at both places really seemed to enjoy the singing and the little kids -- more the little kids, I'm sure. We had about 27 kids and a dozen adults. One lady said she'd been in the home there since March and that we were just the second group to come by. I was a little surprised (and saddened) because I sort of assumed that they were probably getting flooded with group after group at this time of year. Boy, all their kind smiles, handshakes, and words sure touched me -- and I hope our kids too.

When we got back to our church building to do some crafts, eat, and do a book exchange, one of the moms suggested that maybe at the close of our party that we could go sing some carols at the home of one of our elders who's been very ill and just got to go home after being in the hospital over a month. So, after we'd had our fun time together (we actually had four very cute little crafts that they rotated around and did), I announced that -- after cleaning up -- anyone that would like to could go sing for Irby. While several had to get on home, we had a caravan of seven vehicles head over to Irby & Shirley's place. When we got there, Irby was sitting up in his hospital-style bed in their living room and had a few other visitors there. We sang for about 15-20 minutes and he sure seemed to enjoy it. I even saw him give a wink to one of the little girls! I hope these kind of experiences create some meaningful memories in our kids. I know all of us adults were touched today.

No comments: